Saturday, February 12, 2011

12 Weeks but ONE PRODUCTIVE DAY!

One PRODUCTIVE Day! 

1.  Heartbeat Heard
2.  Belly Ultrasound
3.  Met our delivering Doctor
4.  Scheduled the gender scan appointment
5.  Told "the boy" he is going to be a big brother
6.  Wifey's sister got engaged!

Wifey had her 12 week appointment yesterday - we heard the heartbeat at a beautiful 165 whooshing beats per minute and had our very first on the belly ultrasound (rather than the other entrance for a change)  Everything looks great, baby is measuring 12 weeks and 5 days which is a day or two ahead of where we are so that's great! 

We met our actual delivering doc yesterday as well and LOVED her - she was loud and outgoing which immediately made Mary feel comfortable.  It's a NY thing - if you aren't screaming at an uncomfortable decibel, they are pretty sure that nobody can hear them.

We scheduled her next two appointments - one on March 11th at 16 weeks - this one will be a quick weight, blood pressure, urine check kind of thing.  Then we scheduled our 20 week gender scan appointment for April 8th- so excited to find out boy or girl!

So we told the boy last night and it went SO WELL!  We told him after his basketball game at home.  Said we had a doctor's appointment for Mary today and found out we are having a baby!  And that he was officially going to be a BIG brother.  He was happy - kept saying, I can't believe its finally happening to me!  Said he had butterflies in his belly and was so nervous and excited.  He had questions but not the explicit kind, at least not yet.  He wanted to know if he could have the crib in his room - he wanted to know if it was a boy or a girl and then began to immediately fantasize about what kind of big brother he was going to be.  If its a boy, he will be like my little dude.  If its a girl, and she plays soccer, I'm going to drive her to practice.  He wanted to know if it could be August now.  He was freaked out at the thought of being in the delivery room and immediately asked to be excused (no problem there!)  He also said he suspected because he saw Mary's prenatal yoga dvd the other day...  He started to say "Technically its my step brother or step sister but then he paused and said, but that's not how I'm choosing to look at it, I choose "regular brother or sister"  and there you have it.  Immediate relief on our part as we weren't sure what to expect for an initial reaction.  Then before bed, just like every other night he hugged and kissed us both goodnight but last night he kissed Mary's belly too, just because.  SIGH - it really couldn't have gone any better - my heart is happy.

Next person we called was actually his Dad because we wanted to make sure he was in the loop and on board so when the boy chatted with him about it, he could be supportive.  Not surprisingly, he was really happy for us.  He was genuine in his congratulations to both of us and asked questions.  He even asked about the donor - was he anonymous?  Do we know anything about his background? Which I actually thought was somewhat thoughtful.  He was just overall happy of course that his son was going to have a sibling, something he knew he wasn't going to give him.  We actually told him at the boy's 8th birthday party (2 years ago) that we were going to try so he knew it was a possibility but I think he thought we gave up on the idea because it took so long!  The boy then talked to his Dad and they were both excited and in the end, we are grateful for his support.  There aren't many times when we are grateful for him in general - so we'll take it.

Lastly, we found out that wifey's youngest sister got engaged last night.  What a wonderful time for her family.  Her parents are so thrilled to have all 3 of their daughters settled and starting families of their own.

The world is aligned today.



I think in this picture, the baby looks like a little monkey :)

10 comments:

  1. This is great news! So happy it's all coming together. And what a decent little man you have. Sounds like you did a good job with number 1, so number 2 will be lucky to have you two as parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Awesome news. So, you have a child from a previous hetero relationship? Me too. Sometimes it feels like no one has that same dynamic. It presents its own challenges. Anyway, it was nice hearing that you have that perspective as well. Congratulations again from the moms at www.twomomsandbabybump.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, your son sounds like a little sweetie. Congratulations to all of you! Super cute u/s pic, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite blog post so far. I left the mate a message to see how it went with the boy - SO GLAD he reacted so favorably!! Kissing the belly is the cutest thing I've ever heard. I effing love that kid. SO glad you love the doctor, too (I lol'd at the "if you're not screaming at 100 decibals" comment). And YAY, LAURA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yahoo, so much good news! Love the u/s pic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so sweet!!!! Did the boy know you wanted or were planning on a baby? The pic is super cute too!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cried when I read this. What a great son you have raised! Sooooooo happy for you guys!! Oh ya and welcome to the second trimester, it's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I totally welled up when I read about big bro kissing the belly before bed! So awesome for you all...it's great to hear so much good news.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic news! And to think you were worried about telling him!!! I'm so happy for your family! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading your blogs and emails - I can totally hear you talking. I'm SOOO happy for you and Mary. I wish I could give you two big hugs - miss you.

    ReplyDelete