Just your average lesbian couple raising one biological child from a prior relationship and working our way through what is turning out to be quite a journey to grow our family "organically"
Sunday, February 6, 2011
Matters of the Law
I began to poke around when DW was pregnant initially over the summer about how the birth certificates in VA were laid out and whether or not same-sex second parent adoption had ever happened here before, if it was strictly prohibited, or just never done.
As suspected, VA is incredibly slow to come around to all things LGBT friendly and the birth certificate explicitly states MOTHER and FATHER rather than Parent 1 and Parent 2, as some of the other more progressive states (like MA) have done. And I found nothing on the world wide web indicating same sex second parent adoption had ever been attempted.
So recently I sought out LBGT friendly attorneys in the area, and thanks to Lambda Legal, I found one pretty quickly. We had a consultation over the phone Friday night and learned about our options:
Confirmed that same-sex second parent adoption has never been done here, however, we learned that there have been several successful cases in which this particular attorney had been instrumental in, awarding joint custody arrangements to same sex couples. I forgot what she called it exactly but it was nice to know we had an option to consider. She would represent DW and I would go sans attorney and basically we would petition the court for joint custody proving that I had a legitimate interest in the child's life.
This could then carry from state to state should we move out of VA, just like any other court ordered custodial arrangement would. We could also petition the court pretty easily in the next state (if they were more LGBT friendly) and obtain a second parent adoption pretty easily by attaching this existing joint custodial order (along with our marriage license fro MA) to the petition.
When I looked into the process of obtaining a birth certificate in VA, I discovered that its all through the mail and no identification of gender or identity for that matter is required, so why not just list myself as "Father"??? Don't think I'm not seriously considering it... If this is a no go though, it will be just DW's name on the birth certificate unless a) VA wakes the fuck up and changes their law/form or b) we move to a state where its GLBT friendly and we can request an amendment to the birth certificate.
The name game is still up for discussion, our names that is. (We aren't sharing our baby names in advance - we will simply present and introduce our LO when he/she arrives - think Lion King - LMAO) But we had initially discussed changing our last names in advance so when the baby arrives we would be more unified in a family name. There are some caveats to this of course:
1. My DS has his fathers last name and therefore will always have a different last name than us (I grew up the same way, had my father's last name and my mother got remarried and had 2 more kids so they all shared a family name and I did not)
2. DW and I can't yet agree on what this will look like - we talked about hyphenating our two last names and/or using both last names without a hyphen. We know someone who did this with their kids and this allows them to use whatever last name they choose later in life. We talked about using one last name as a middle name as well. Lastly, we talked about creating a whole new name for our family (like our friends in SOHO) but we still haven't figured out what we want to do
3. Neither one of us truly wants to change our name to anything else - after 33 years with them we are attached. I also recognize the hassle it represents professionally now and its just a pain in the ass.
So obviously this means we aren't sure how this will affect the naming of the unborn child but thought I'd toss it out there in case anyone has any bright ideas for us to consider. The attorney seemed to like the idea of changing or names in advance of the baby arriving-that this would avoid any potential guff about the baby's name on the gift certificate.
Attorney also strongly suggested we get our wills in order, along with our POA - she offered us a reduced rate because she enjoys working on GLBT issues, so all in the process will be pretty reasonable in terms of fees.
I'll post again this week as DW approaches the 12 week mark and we have our next ultrasound on Friday the 11th - trimester #2 starts on Valentine's Day....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

OMG - it never occurred to me that you wouldn't have your name on the birth certificate! That's horrible - fucking Virginia.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the last name goes, you guys always come up with fantastic solutions to the problems that you face and I have no doubt that you'll come to a decision that makes you both very happy. :) I'm always here if you want to talk/vent! xoxo
You should ask your lawyer for a copy of the adoption laws in VA...unless it states exactly that two unmarried people can't adopt or same sex people can't adopt then it just a matter of getting the right judge. That is how it is in SC...there is no law but you have to get the right judge.
ReplyDeleteWe have had 3.5 longgggggg years to consider this! At first DW was trying and wanted to name the child my last name. Then things changed... She has an already-hyphenated last name and both of ours are long and complicated. I like the idea of making up a new family name but there was nothing that worked well with our names. And I forbade her to name our child THREE HYPHENATED last names. At long, long last we have settled on the child having one of her last names, then a hyphen, then my last name. We dropped the last name from her dad because he is not involved anyway. DW and I each keep our own last name and the baby has a name in common with us both. I insisted therefore that he/she have an easy to spell first name! Poor kid.
ReplyDelete@Andrea -don't you worry about a thing - you know how we do - don't yo uhave a shower to plan??
ReplyDelete@Jenn - our attorney advised us that is is not explicitly illegal in VA but it has never been done, even though its been attempted. If we had a small fortune to spend, I think we'd consider paving the way here in conservative VA
@Pine - THREE last names is too many - first name would have to be like one letter or something - hahahaha...and I hear ya on the last names - my last name is from my bio dad who was never part of my life so seems silly to be so attached to it. I actually like DW's last name - but I feel bad for my kiddo who has gotten used to his Mom having one name - he jokibgly refers to us as the "B-C-L family" of course saying all of our last names in this process - sigh
We hyphenated our names so that the baby would have a "family" name. And while it was a pain, it wasn't that bad. Just an added level of security that we wanted. We found the political/legal climate in Virginia towards gay families very hard to live with. I think having as much in place legally and socially as possible could be beneficial.
ReplyDelete