Wednesday, July 21, 2010

It's Official - we just went through IVF





Pics are from today - 1st one is DW on transfer day - let her keep her top on this time :) and pic is of our slipper socks - they gave her a pair and I was jealous because my stilettos were killing me, so I thought I would don a pair as well, and lastly, this is a picture of our two transferred embryos, which I affectioately am calling the beans.

Where the hell do I even begin to recount today's events (and its only 6pm)...let me go back to yesterday - got a call from the clinic IVF coordinator just letting us know they don't actually look at the embryos on Day 2, but that they reserved a 12noon spot for DW for today at the clinic just in case, said she would hear from the lab by 9am this morning and we would hear then one way or the other. I asked her yesterday what the liklihood of s tranfer would be for today in our case, and she said based on the number of embryos we had fertilize, probably 80-90% for Friday.

Call came this morning and low and behold, it was to report for the transfer TODAY. I was told that wifey had one embryo that looked really good, rated at a 4-, with 5 being the best and 1 being the worst. She also had six embryos graded at a 3 and one graded at a 2. They thought is would be best to get the best two embryos transferred today and not take the risk of waiting until Friday. They will continue to watch the others until Friday and if possible, they will freeze more than the original five, should we need them for a next time...

So we cleared our schedules at work, NOT an easy task, and by 10:45am, I left work to go pick up DW at work and drive her to the clinic - on the way - she took the Valium they prescribed for the procedure and by the time we got there, she was retarded...LMFAO...this girl is sensitive to narcotics! I had to basically throw her over my shoulder to get her into the buidling...we were to be there by 11:30 and the procedure was to be at noon. On top of all this, she HAD to have a full bladder for the procedure and THEN our doc decided to get tied up in surgery elsewhere and was 50 minutes late! If you have ever had a full bladder and no access to a bathroom, you should be able to sympathize. So the nurses allowed her to empty ONE CUP of urine while she waited, so they had us walk out of our room and into the men's room since it was closer.

Men's room? Lesbians? In an IVF Clinic? Hold right up - we know what happens in the men's room of an IVF clinic...and yep - this room DID NOT DISAPPOINT - there were giant posters of playgirl hookers up on the wall and playboy and hustler magazines in the magazine rack, and yup-white rags - for clean up I presume - EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW but we got a kick out of it.

Then the doc FINALLY got there and we discussed the embryo "situation" and that it was a little disapointing but he still felt very confident stating that whenever he has the opportunity to transfer embryos graded 4 or higher, the success rate was significantly higher. He said that her endometriosis was likely the culprit for her "situation" w hich I guess sort of justifies for us why we were never succesful with all the other attempts :(

The transfer itself was pretty interesting - I even got to look at the ambryos under the microscope before transfer. And then we could watch on the ultrasound monitor and see the cateter go in and deliver the goods right to her cervix - CRAZY.

Still doing progesterone oil shots in her rear every night, except tonight we doubled the amount - OUCH. Only 2 more weeks of those and then we can switcheroo to the suppositiores ( I say, WE, lgihtly of course)

So, all in all, that is exactly what we did - transfer the 4- and one of the 3's. And now the agonizing wait until our beta on August 2nd...let the countdown begin.

1 comment: