Well, we had the long awaited ultrasound this morning and it went well. PHEW.
WE HAVE ONE HEALTHY BEAN WITH A HEARTBEAT BETWEEN 100 AND 120 BPM.
The waiting room was PACKED and we waited about ten minutes after our scheduled appointment time. Once we were called back by the doc himself, he had us stacked like sardines in the hallway waiting for the actual room to clear from the last patient.
I couldn't even look at the monitor, I held my breath, I was sweating. After what seemed like a lifetime, but was really less than a minute, the good doctor spoke. He said, "There is one and It looks OK" I think at that point I exhaled and looked at the monitor. DW sat straight up so she could see too. And there it was, the most beautiful little blob on the screen with the cutest little flickering heartbeat.
Now our RE doesn't get excited about anything, ever. In fact, we have only seen him smile once and it was merely and pleasantry exchange, forced even. Not sure what his deal is, but he seems good at what he does, so I guess personality is what we shall seek in our OB.
He was boot scootin around in my wifey's lady parts and pointed out that there appeared to be a second sack that was empty, and it was clearly much smaller than the one with our heartbeatin' bean in it, there was no evidence of a 3rd sack, so looks like 2 implanted, one kept growing.
I had to inquire as to what the bpm were, and he indulged me by saying it was about 100, then he paused and said, "between 100 and 120 I would say" Of course, Mary was all over that, "Is that good?" "Are you happy with that?" etc. He sort of unexcitedly said, "yes, that's what we would expect to see at this tiny stage" He kept saying "tiny" which was making me nervous but he also kept saying "what we would expect to see", then he said "we typically have patients come back in one week to ensure things are continuing to progress as they should". I immediately worry but look at Mary and she is calm and unaffected by his latest words, so I let it go. He then took a few measurements, spit out some flimsy keepsake photos, and sent us on our way.
I wish I could say I was relieved of all my fears, but truly I am still terrified. PLEASED, make no mistake, but still a bit terrified. I think its just who I am. I'll fluctuate through this whole pregnancy. This seems funny to me since I got pregnant at 22 years old and didn't have a thought in the world that anything could have possibly gone wrong. Sometimes knowing too much is not a good thing.
But for today, we have overcome the hurdle that stopped us dead in our tracks last time, and we are so so grateful. Looks like I have some promises to fulfill now that all of my pleading to higher powers has seemed to work.


very exciting!! hard to read your new font tho :)
ReplyDeleteYippeeeeeee! What great news! I understand being scared and cautious, though! Wouldn't ignorance be blissful?!!! See this proves my point about transfering more than one! ( my own personal bias). Anyway, fingers crossed! This is great news!
ReplyDeleteFan-freakintastic! Woohoo! So happy for you both (or should I say four, can't forget DS and that flickering h/b!) Great news, so happy!
ReplyDeleteVery exciting news!!! Congratulations to your family. :)
ReplyDeleteI have to say, I won't be truly convinced it's just one bean until 8 weeks. I know 2 bloggers, a friend IRL and of course, us, that had a "surprise baby" show up in the 8 week u/s. Two of them had "empty or small sacs" and two of us had babies that were missed completely. Just sayin...
Thank you all for the well wishes :)
ReplyDeleteJenn-the font WAS a hot mess so I changed it up pronto!
Robbie-you are KILLING me, you just want to keep the multiple dream alive for us huh? Ha! We have another ultrasound at 7.2 weeks but I think that will be it before we head out to an OB - hmmm....perhaps we should insist on just one more after that??